Fleas are small, wingless insects that feed on the blood of animals and people. Fleas do not normally live on humans, rather on cats, dogs and wildlife. They do however bite people who handle infested animals. Fleabites cause small, red, itchy bumps, and are most often found on the ankles and lower legs of humans. For relief from itching wash with soap and water, then apply ice.
- Change pet bedding regularly.
- Bathe and brush pets regularly. Soap acts as a gentle insecticide and helps control light infestations on your pet.
- For pet infestations that are more significant, consider using orally applied veterinary products for flea control.
- Vacuum under furniture, cushions, along walls and pet bedding. Discard vacuum cleaner bags regularly. Fleas can continue to develop inside vacuum cleaner bags and re-infest the house.
- Avoid flea collars as these are often impregnated with toxicants that are harmful to humans.
- Exclude bats and wild birds from your home by maintaining good bug screens over air vents in your attic. Maintain chimney structures so that birds and bats cannot use them for roosting or nest sites. These pests can carry their own fleas.
- An outbreak of human fleas in the immediate area should be taken seriously, particularly in schools. Contact professionals and ask for an IPM solution.
- Flea populations can be monitored with a simple homemade apparatus. Place a little dish detergent into a shallow pan of water. The detergent acts as a wetting agent, which breaks water surface tension. Place the pan on the floor overnight, and position a bright light source about five inches above the liquid surface. Fleas attracted by the light, fall into the detergent solution and drown.
- Trim lawns and weeds to create a drier, less inviting environment for flea larvae. Avoid piles of sand and gravel around the home for long periods. Avoid over-watering lawns.
- Monitor pets closely for fleas.
If you suspect a flea infestation, please contact ClearDefense Pest Control HERE. We want to help!
Tags: bugs, Charlotte, Chattanooga, Cincinnatti, clear defense, cleardefense, exterminate, exterminator, fleas, Greensboro, Greer, infestation, insects, Kansas City, Knoxville, pest control, pests, Raleigh Durham, Richmond, Winston Salem