As the warm weather rolls in, many homeowners will find themselves dealing with unpleasant springtime allergy symptoms such as runny noses and itchy eyes. What remains a little known fact is that pests like cockroaches, dust mites and rodents can be behind those springtime allergy symptoms. The tips listed below can help you and your family to keep from sneezing your way through spring.
Most aren’t aware that over 20-million people are allergic to a tiny, microscopic pest called a dust mite or that dander from rodents and shed skins from cockroaches can exacerbate symptoms. Fortunately, pest-proofing your home to reduce exposure to allergens can be done in a few simple steps and will help control your springtime allergy symptoms.
Here area few best practices to keep out spring pests known to cause springtime allergy symptoms:
- Seal cracks and crevices around the home with caulk, steel wool, or both, paying attention to areas where utilities and pipes enter the structure.
- Keep basements and attics clear, storing boxes off of the floor.
- Eliminate moisture sites, including leaking pipes and clogged drains.
- Keep food in airtight containers and dispose of garbage regularly.
- Wash blankets, throw rugs and bedding in hot water, preferably at 130-degrees F, or take them to be dry-cleaned.
- Vacuum and dust frequently.
- Maintain a clean kitchen, free of crumbs and spills.
- Keep pet food sealed in a tight container and wash food bowls.
Springtime allergy symptoms are not a lot of fun. The above tips are just a few ways to help prevent pest allergens and reduce your springtime allergy symptoms. It’s also important to understand that properly removing allergy-inducing pests is the best way to help keep any issues from arising in the future. If you find yourself dealing with a pest infestation in your home, please contact us HERE. We can help!
Click HERE for more information from the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA) concerning allergies and pests.Tags: bugs, Charlotte, Chattanooga, Cincinnati, clear defense, cleardefense, Columbia, Durham, exterminate, exterminator, Greensboro, Greer, infestation, insects, Kansas City, Knoxville, Nashville, pest control, pests, Raleigh, Richmond, springtime allergy symptoms, Winston Salem